Definition of COB encapsulation
The COB is called the Chips on Board (COB), which is a technology to solve the problem of LED heat dissipation. Compared with in-line technology and SMD, it has several features of space saving, simplified packaging, and highly efficient thermal management.
The COB encapsulation, that is, the chip On board, is to adhere the bare chip to the interconnect substrate with conductive or non-conductive glue, and then perform wire bonding to realize electrical connection. If the bare chip is directly exposed to the air, it is susceptible to contamination or man-made damage, affecting or destroying the function of the chip, so the chip and the bonding wire are encapsulated by glue. This package is also referred to as a soft encapsulation.
Advantages of COB packaging
1. Ultra-thin: According to the actual needs of customers, PCB board with thickness from 0.4-1.2mm can be used to reduce the weight to 1/3 of the original traditional products, which can significantly reduce the structural, transportation and engineering costs for customers.
2. Anti-collision and compression: The COB product directly encapsulates the LED chip in the concave lamp position of the PCB board, and then is cured by epoxy resin. The surface of the lamp point is convex into a spherical surface, which is smooth and hard, and is resistant to collision and wear.
3. Large viewing angle: The COB package uses shallow well spherical illumination, the viewing angle is greater than 175 degrees, close to 180 degrees, and has a better optical diffuse color dimming effect.
4. Bendable: Bending capacity is a unique feature of COB assembly. PCB bending does not cause damage to encapsulated LED chips. Therefore, LED arc screens, circular screens, and wavy screens can be easily fabricated using COB modules. It is an ideal substrate for personalized screens in bars and nightclubs. It can be seamlessly spliced, the production structure is simple, and the price is far lower than the LED shaped screen made by the flexible circuit board and the traditional display module.
5. Strong heat dissipation: COB products are packaged on the PCB board, and the heat of the wick is quickly transmitted through the copper foil on the PCB board. The thickness of the copper foil of the PCB board has strict technical requirements, and because of the immersion gold process, it hardly causes severe light attenuation. Therefore, there are very few LED damage and COB products greatly extend the life.
6, wear-resistant, easy to clean: the surface of the lamp point is convex into a spherical surface, smooth and hard, collision-resistant and wear-resistant; If there are dead spots, you can repair point by point; no mask, dust can be cleaned with water or cloth.
7, Excellent all-weather characteristics: it triple protection treatment, waterproof, moisture proof, corrosion resistance, dust prevention, anti-static finish, anti-oxidation, UV resistance effect is outstanding. So it is able to meet all-weather working conditions, the temperature difference of minus 30 degrees to zero 80 degrees can still be used normally.